Thursday, March 15, 2018

Chicken Pot Pie (Pi day) a day late! But, I'm on the fly!

Chicken Pot Pie, my way

Here's what my family has always liked about chicken pot pie:  Cheese and BACON!

Yesterday was March 14th, Pi day, now I am not a math person, but am surrounded by science people.  My husband is a microbiologist and I have one daughter who is a biology teacher at the local high school and another daughter who is pretty brilliant in math among other topics.  I cook, bake, sew, and other arty things, so math has never been my knack.  In fact, if you asked me where to find math books in the library or book store, I'd tell you the horror section!

Well, anyway, here is my recipe for chicken pot pie for all those who like their pie for all other days of the year, along with Pi day.

My Chicken Pot Pie

The white sauce
2 Tbsp unsalted butter
2 Tbsp all-purpose flour (I use White Lilly)
1-1/2 c whole milk
1 pinch of nutmeg
1 tsp of Beef stock
salt and pepper to taste
 Filling
1 recipe of white sauce
1 package of mixed vegetables
2 TBsp diced onion
1 12.5 oz canned chicken
1/2 c plain Greek yogurt
Crust
1 cup of biscuit mix (I use Pioneer Brand)
1 egg
 
1/2 c grated cheddar cheese
1/2 c whole milk
1/2 c plain Greek yogurt
 
 
Directions
Melt butter in medium size sauce pan, add flour and whisk until smooth over medium heat for 1 minute to make sure flour is cooked.  Meanwhile, heat milk in microwave for 1.5 minutes to speed up the thickening process with the sauce.  Add half of the milk at a time to butter mixture until thickening and then the rest of the milk and cook until the sauce is thickened, but not too thick!  Add the seasonings and cheese.  When the sauce is completely mixed through and smooth, add beef stock and finish stirring until all smooth.   In a casserole dish, lightly grease the bottom with butter and add the chicken, sauce, and onions.   In a separate bowl, mix all the ingredients together and pour over the filling.  Sprinkle bacon bits over the top and bake for 30 minutes in a 400 degree oven.
Serve with a salad and voila, Dinner!

 Enjoy! 
 





No comments:

Post a Comment