Thursday, January 16, 2014

A real typical "on the fly" dinner

Today, I've been literally all over town with this and that to do, my mother-in-law's doctor's appt, middle child's wrist rehab appt,...what else.  Anyway, so tonight I'm teaching my class and dinner needs to be cooked.

Looking in the cupboards, I discover a can of black beans, whole kernel corn, several cans of diced tomatoes, and a carton of chicken broth.....hmmmmm.

So I get out a big soup pot, dump the beans, corn, one can of tomatoes, and all the chicken broth in together and begin to season my concoction.

1-1/2 tsp.  Chili powder
1 tsp.        garlic powder
1/2 tsp       black pepper
1 tsp.         Kosher salt
1 Tbsp       Onion flakes
2 tsp.         tomato paste...from a tube (I get it from Fresh Market or Harris Teeter)

Brought the whole thing to a boil, then down to simmer for about an hour.    I just tasted it and....it's not bad!!  Rather good, really.  

Now to top off the meal, I'm making cheesy quesadillas with lots of lettuce, Greek yogurt (in lieu of sour cream) and tortilla chips.

Voila!

No comments:

Post a Comment